This tutorial will recreate the 3D printer effect seen in games such as Astroneer and Planetary Annihilation. It’s an interesting effect that shows an object in the process of being created. Despite looking simple, there are many challenges that are far from being trivial.
- Introduction: A First Attempt
- Part 1. Unlit Shader Surface
- Part 2. Passing Paramters to the Lighting Function
- Part 3. Extending the Standard Lighting Function
This is a two part tutorials:
- 3D Printer Shader Effect – Part 1
- 3D Printer Shader Effect – Part 2
A link to download the Unity package (code, shader and 3D models) is provided at the end of the tutorial.